Wednesday, September 06, 2006

... and they welcome us

Last Sunday was the forth time for us coming to church where Indonesian people have a fellowship every Sunday. First time we came, the only reason of it was because we would have a farewell party with some friends which could not make us go to church in city as usual. The second time, I was not strong enough to go to city after being off from Mt. Buller. And at the very time, we found out that the priest who is in charge in the church is from my hometown, Pekalongan. I met his wife first and after a short talk, we laughed together as though we were old friends and amused ourselves of what a small world it is. Then, it turned out the priest is my uncle’s friend; his mother is my mom and grandma’s friend. He knows my family quite well. So there we went at the following Sunday and found ourselves a bit contented coming to the smaller community.

It is a small church indeed, compared to the church we were usually going in city. However, the people are quite friendly and we feel welcome there and soon were found out that my hubby can pretty well play guitar and likes to play drum as well. I was also found out as someone who can play music, specifically piano because the priest knows my mom as a piano teacher. Well, let me tell you, I am not a good pianist and in fact, I am sorry to add, I only play piano to amuse myself. I wish I could play the musical instrument pretty well, but I could not.

Last two Sundays, a friend of my hubby has dragged us to join a choir since Pesparani or Pesta Paduan Suara Rohani (A Celebration of Gospel Choir) will be held on October. He was so persuasive that we could not resist him. So there I was, instead of walking home and staying warmly on my couch, sitting among the soprano group and my hubby among the tenor group. In which, we have never been when we get back to our church in Indonesia. I have ever promised to myself not to drag myself into ‘voice’ service such as being a singer or joining in a choir or anything like that, yet people in this church seem not to care whether we really have a good voice or not. A thing that we rarely find in our church at Indonesia. That reminded me of an awful yet ironic experience. Once a friend told me that she almost gave up either in choir she joined or in a task of being singer because a vocal teacher, who undoubtedly has a beautiful, great voice yelled at her that her voice was not good enough to sing in front of the congregation during service. I did experience the same thing and perfectly well understood what she felt. Sometimes, particular people happen to be too arrogant and proud of themselves and feel they are better than anybody else just because they have a great talent and everybody claim and praise and worship of it before them while the others do not seem to have.

So, positively, my hubby and I have joined the church choir and will go with them to the competition next month. I have never ever seen my hubby so thrilled to learn the choir song even at home. It was amazing. He was one of the victims (maybe ‘victim’ is not a proper word, but I thought it is the most right one to define it) of the vocal teacher mentioned above long, long before my friend was. In this church, though it is small and the system does seem in a mess, the sincerity of the people is in the air. No matter who you are and whatsoever talent you have, you are all welcome to join any service at the church. I have even been scheduled to be a singer (what?? Do you believe that?? I was never believed by particular people to have a good-enough voice to sing or to lead the congregation sing in my former church!). They said, never say ‘cant’ for you do it for God and God never care how good your voice is but how sincere your heart is to give the best for Him.

Still, I do not think I would have myself join in a choir nor be a singer in my church at Indonesia. Not in front of people who have taken the place of God to say whether you are good enough to serve in church or not.


Tuesday, 5 September 2006
9:09 pm

3 komentar ajah:

Anonymous said...

Jc, I can sense your motherly love coming out now. Hehe.. yeah indeed it's a blessing. I probably have no chance of meeting the little angel. So.. you and Erwin must send us pics of your angel when you deliver!

~ jessie ~ said...

Wa... thanks indeed. Surely we'll send you our little angel then. Btw, it's dilys, isn't it?? Hehehehehe...

Anonymous said...

who else would type in English? Hhahaha.. I enjoy reading your blog. Mine is sooo boring! Keep on writing!